INTRODUCTION

Hi everyone My name is Victoria Zumbrum, 40 years old, married 14 years with 1 son. This is my very first blog. So bear with me. I have always wanted to have my own blog. I have always loved to read. I enjoy getting lost in a good book.
I love becoming part of the story and characters. I am hoping to bring my love of books to my readers.

I love reading different genres such as paranormal, young adult, romance, romantic suspense, mystery, Christian fiction, some horror, etc. The list goes on. I started reviewing books a couple of years ago and have done reviews for different blogs and even some authors. I really have enjoyed reviewing books and I will continue to do so. If anyone is interested in me reviewing a book for them, please contact me. I still have a lot to learn regarding my own blog so bear with me. I welcome and appreciate all followers.

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Welcome to Piney Falls Character Interview

 


Thank you for joining us today. Would you care to introduce yourself?

Of course. My name is Tulip Sloan, world-reknown movie star of the 1940s. I've made thirty films in the course of ten years and I've been nominated for sixteen awards. Cute Dame Magazine named me 1943's Best Shoulders. Then, there is the subject of my love interests–

No, that's plenty by way of introduction. Can you tell us why, as a character who is just mentioned in passing, we would be featuring your recipe today?

Darling, you underestimate me. I was once nominated for an Academy Award for fifteen second's work in the movie, "Chimps in Heels." I lost that award to Babs, the chimp who played the lead. I still think the award should have reverted to me when Babs beat Cary Grant over the head with it.

I thought you were going to say it was because you're featured heavily in other books in the series?

That too, darling.

Another surprise for us was that you cook and bake.

Of course I do! Movie stars are just like everyone else. I call my staff and tell them which recipe to use every day.

Now, give us some background on this recipe if you would, please.

My Thursday chef tells me this is his favorite. Chocolately and decadent and he says this is a lower fat option. I've watched him eat it before and he seems to enjoy every bite.

Thank you for joining us, Miss Sloan. We look forward to reading the rest of the series to hear your story!

You won't be disappointed. I have secrets upon secrets. I've suggested another book is added to the series focusing on me and I've been told it's coming next year.

 

Tulip's Chocolate Cake

·         1 and 3/4 cups (219g) all-purpose or Bob's gluten free flour

·         3/4 cup (62g) unsweetened cocoa powder

·         1 and ½ c (350g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar for a richer flavor.(This will make the batter slightly grainy, but will not affect the final product.)

·         2 teaspoons baking soda

·         1 teaspoon baking powder

·         1 teaspoon salt – a pinch of salt works too. Unprocessed, grey salt is the best

·         1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil, or fill half the cup with oil and half with applesauce for a lower fat option. You may also use a solid fat, such as butter

·         2 large eggs, at room temperature

·         2 or 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I like to add more)

·         1 cup (240ml) buttermilk

·         1 cup (240ml) freshly brewed strong hot coffee 

You may want to top with fresh berries, or berries and cream cheese, or whatever sounds good. If you'd like traditional frosting, see below.

Chocolate Frosting

·         1.25 cups (2.5 sticks or 290g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

·         3 and 1/2 cups (420g) powdered sugar-Swerve powdered sugar, or half Swerve and half powdered sugar works also

·         3/4 cup (65g) cocoa powder 

·         3–5 Tablespoons (45-75ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk), at room temperature

·         1/4 teaspoon salt-again, a pinch works just fine

·         2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

 

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the cakes seamlessly release from the pans. It's also fine to make this in a 9x13 inch pan. Make sure the bottom of that pan is greased thoroughly, either with butter or a baking spray

 

  •  Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you can use a whisk) mix the oil, eggs, and vanilla together on medium-high speed until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the hot water/coffee, and whisk or beat on low speed until the batter is completely combined. Batter is thin. If you are using coconut sugar, batter may be slightly gritty. It won't be a problem once it's been baked.

 

 

  • Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I like mine to be slightly underdone, so I watch carefully the last ten minutes. For 9x13 pan, bake 40 minutes (more or less depending on your oven.)

 

  • Remove the cakes from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely in the pan.

Frosting

 With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy – about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ (or Swerve) sugar, cocoa powder, 3 Tablespoons heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 1 full minute. Do not over-whip. Add 1/4 cup more confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder if frosting is too thin or 1-2 more Tablespoons of cream if frosting is too thick. (I usually add 1 more.)

 

 If cooled cakes are domed on top, use a large serrated knife to slice a thin layer off the tops to create a flat surface. Discard or crumble over finished cake. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd layer and spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides.

 

Refrigeration may help the cake slice easier.

Serve to your Hollywood friends and family on your best dinnerware.

Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

 

Find all of Joann Keder's work:

Joann Keder Books

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment