Click the banner to see a list of all the tour stops!
Julie Frayn pens award-winning novels and short stories that pack a punch. And a few stabs. She has published three novels and two short, short story collections. Her work has won two gold medals in the 2013 Authorsdb cover contest, and the Books and Pals 2014 Readers’ Choice award for women’s fiction.
A bean counter by day, Julie revels in the written word. When she is not working or writing, she spends as much time as possible with her two children (grown adults, really), while they still think she’s cool.
5 women of mystery, murder, and Top mayhem
There are hundreds of amazing characters, authors, actors, all of them marvelous women of mystery, murder, and (or) mayhem. They author books, or are characters in them, are on television, in the movie theatre. Here is my favourite five of these women, listed in countdown mode (to build suspense of course).
5. Sgt. Suzanne “Pepper” Anderson – Yes, Police Woman. Angie Dickinson’s ground-breaking role hit television screens when I was just eleven years old, but I've never shaken her from my adolescent memories. Yeah, she was pretty. Sure, she was a blonde bombshell. But man, could that woman kick some serious criminal butt! I later learned that as a result of Police Woman, applications by women to real police departments around the US surged. This show, this character, this actress, all paved the way for other hour-long dramatic series with female leads including some other favourites of mine, Charlie’s Angels and Cagney and Lacey. Which leads me to….
4. Christine Cagney – Brought to life by the inimitable Sharon Gless, Christine Cagney, partner to Mary Beth Lacey, was one driven, ambitious, and seriously flawed woman. She grew up wealthy thanks to her mother, but followed in her father’s footsteps and became a cop. She loved her single life and only waxed poetic about love and a family of her own when she had a pregnancy scare. Over the series, her alcoholism was revealed. But no matter what her personal life threw at her, including the death of her father, who she discovered was on the take, Cagney’s ambitions and drive to become the first female police commissioner were front and centre. She was a role model for women in the eighties who were struggling with the choice of career over starting a family.
3. Sara Sidle – This crime scene investigator on the original CSI is one of my favourite characters. She holds a certain sadness in her eyes, in her gait, even in her smile. She never seems fully happy or at ease. I often wondered if the name her character was given was a near-homophone of ‘suicidal.’ But despite that, she perseveres, even leaving for a while and then coming back. This is her calling and she is damn good at it. And she knows it.
2. The women of Criminal Minds – most all of them. Specifically Emily Prentiss for her brilliance and her empathy and her secrets and her past. She’s seen it, done it, lived it, died from it – almost. She is one tough broad. And Jennifer “JJ” Jareau. She snuck in on pretty blonde tiptoes in the early seasons and became a force of nature. Don’t mess with JJ, especially if her son and husband and FBI family are at risk. And don’t get in the line of her gun sight. The woman is a crack shot. But most of all, Penelope Garcia. Because she is odd and brilliant and without her most of the mysteries would remain a mystery. She dives into the ugly day and in and day out and fills her life, her office, her hair, with colour and kitsch and silliness to ward off the evil and to desperately hold onto some sense of good.
1. Agatha Christie – Dame Agatha will remain in my heart as the ruling queen of mystery and murder. She penned an astounding number of books - almost 90 novels, plays, and short story collections. And I read every single one of them before I turned eighteen. I first discovered her in 1977, and within four years had devoured all her murderous plots. A fun weekend for this book nerd was sitting in my room alone with the door closed, and polishing off three Christie paperbacks in a row.
Her characters are those of legend – Hercule Poirot, the petite master of mystery with his mustaches and his pince-nez and his sirop de cassis. Miss Jane Marple, single old lady of questionable means of support. And my sleeper favourites, Tommy and Tuppence Beresford who were the focus of the first Christie work I read, Postern of Fate, and of the book with the best title ever, By the Pricking of My Thumbs.
Many don’t know that Agatha also wrote six romance novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott. I tried to like them, honestly I did. But I couldn't make it through even a few chapters of Giant’s Bread. Why not? Maybe because no one died a gruesome death and my teenage lust for blood wasn't satisfied.
I credit Ms. Christie with my adult lust for blood…. Thank you, Agatha. I adore you.
by Julie Frayn
When Mazie Reynolds was a young girl, she believed monsters lived under her bed. Now a grown, married woman, she discovers one sleeps in her bed.
Mazie schemes to save herself and her daughter. Her plan will work, if she can out-maneuver the monster who is a master of manipulation and control. She’s got one thing going for her, the one thing she truly owns. Mazie has moxie to the bone. But will it be enough?
(warning - language, violence, sex)
by Julie Frayn
It Isn't Cheating if He’s Dead is the BigAl's Books and Pals 2014 Reader's Choice Award winner for women's fiction.
Jemima Stone waited four long years for her missing fiancé to come home, burying herself in her job and feeding the homeless. When Gerald is found dead halfway across the country, she is devastated. Detective Finn Wight promises to uncover the truth behind Gerald’s mysterious death.
Delivering sandwiches to her homeless friends, she discovers a newcomer. Though he refuses to speak, his haunted eyes tell Jemima that he is in trouble — hiding from someone or something. Jemima turns to Detective Wight in hopes of helping the man. But uncovering his true identity leads to the discovery of secrets none of them could have imagined.
Meet the rest of the #eNovAaW
Women of Murder, Mystery & Mayhem
Colleen Connally is a pen name of Jerri Hines. Under Colleen Connally, she has written a historical romance series, Secret Lives, which is riddled with romantic suspense. The Secret Lives consists of Seductive Secrets, Broken Legacy and Seductive Lies. Fragmented, Book One of Boston’s Crime of Passion, marks Ms Connally’s first contemporary suspense thriller. One can find other historical series under Jerri Hines, including Winds of Betrayal and Tides of Charleston. Coming soon, she will release a Civil War saga, Southern Legacy, beginning with Belle of Charleston. She is also a supporter of The One Fund, a charity supporting the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing, and Alzheimer’s Association.
by Collen Connally
The Heavens Shall Fall
by Jerri Hines
Author, Mimi Barbour, has five romance series at this time. The Vicarage Bench, a Spirit-travel, Time-travel Series / Angels with Attitude Series – Angels Love Romance / The Vegas Series—fast-paced, thrilling and loved by readers / Elvis Series—make an Elvis Song a book, and her latest suspense series with gritty characters, constant conflicts and emotional highs and lows sharing humor on every page, The Undercover FBI series.
“Mimi says - I’ve taken early retirement on Vancouver Island to spend my days and many nights, hovering over my computer and spinning the stories that have been vying for my attention over the years.
My husband is supportive, drags me out to feed me and plans occasional forays into the outside world. I have a son who makes me happy I was born a woman so I could be his mom, and a niece whose family adds to my full cup of happiness.
Special Agent Francesca
by Mimi Barbour
Special Agent Finnegan
by Mimi Barbour
A Navy brat and graduate of the University of California, Santa Cruz, LORRIE FARRELLY is proud to be a Fightin' Banana Slug. Following graduate school at Northwestern University, she began a career in education that included teaching art to 4th graders, drama to 8th graders, and finally, math to high school students.
She's a three-time winner on "Jeopardy!" She has shepherded wide-eyed foreign exchange students along Hollywood Blvd, and has happily curried and shoveled as a ranch hand at Disneyland's Circle D Ranch. And always, she writes.
Lorrie has won a Presidential Commendation for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics. She's been a Renaissance nominee for Teacher of the Year and a finalist for the Orange Rose Award in romantic fiction. Her novels have been awarded Readers' Favorite 5-Stars. TIMELAPSE and TERMS OF SURRENDER are winning MEDALISTS in the 2014 READERS' FAVORITE INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS. Lorrie and her family live in Southern California.
by Lorrie Farrelly
The Guardian's Angel
by Lorrie Farrelly
What happens when a Jersey girl falls in love with the Florida sunshine? Lois's life changed when she made sultry Tampa her home. It might have been the subtropical heat that forced the stories out of her head and into the books she writes. The southern migration has allowed her to pursue her passions; cooking for family and friends, growing orchids, and learning tennis. Her food blog, the Culture and Cuisine Club, continues to push the envelope of dinner club creativity. She's obsessed with art in all forms, and her interests are the entrées that fill her books with a fillip of sexy seasoning to spice things up. On most weekends she can be found enjoying the perfect cocktail with close friends.
Born To Die ~ The Montauk Murders
by L.A. Lewandoswki
A Gourmet Demise ~ Murder in South Tampa
by L.A. Lewandoswki
eNovel Authors at Work is a group of indie authors who believe in paying it forward…
We are dedicated to helping one another to understand the challenges facing writers in the digital universe.
Everything we discover will find its way into these pages, to help authors and readers alike to navigate the ever-changing world of books.
Our goal is all about THE BOOK. We help each other to get our books noticed and expand our audiences. Indie Publishing is constantly changing, and we do our best stay informed.
Our members can participate in individual and group promotions.
Whether an author has published one book or ten, success requires diligence, dedication, and focus. We don’t know all the answers, but we are learning who to ask, who to listen to, and how best to use the tools available to sell BOOKS.
While we respect an author’s choice in what he or she writes, we do not promote erotica, gratuitous sex, or violence.
Right here is where you can subscribe to our newsletter (at the top of the sidebar on any page). eNovel Authors will only land in your mailbox when a good book is free 99 cents or a special deal . Now and again we’ll tell you about a new release, a blog hop, or a book we discovered that made us laugh or cry or dream.