INTRODUCTION

Hi everyone My name is Victoria Zumbrum, 40 years old, married 14 years with 1 son. This is my very first blog. So bear with me. I have always wanted to have my own blog. I have always loved to read. I enjoy getting lost in a good book.
I love becoming part of the story and characters. I am hoping to bring my love of books to my readers.

I love reading different genres such as paranormal, young adult, romance, romantic suspense, mystery, Christian fiction, some horror, etc. The list goes on. I started reviewing books a couple of years ago and have done reviews for different blogs and even some authors. I really have enjoyed reviewing books and I will continue to do so. If anyone is interested in me reviewing a book for them, please contact me. I still have a lot to learn regarding my own blog so bear with me. I welcome and appreciate all followers.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Interview of Chris Karlsen


GIRL WITH PEN LIKES TO WELCOME CHRIS KARLSEN, THE AUTHOR OF SILK TO THE BLOG. 


AUTHOR INTERVIEW


1. What inspired you to be a writer?

 Movies mostly. I'd see one I loved but thought how I'd have changed the ending. That led to creating stories in my head and finally got the chance to put down on paper after I retired.

 

 

2. Are you married?  Kids?

I'm married for almost 26 years and have three grown step-children who live out of state.

 

 

3.  What genre or genres do you like to write and read?

I write historical romances, romantic thrillers and my latest is a new series that is historical mystery/suspense.

I read historical fiction, historical romances, some paranormal romances, and standard thrillers.

 

 

4.  Do you have a favorite author or authors?

I love Bernard Cornwell, Mike Connelly, John Sandford, Joe Wambaugh, Julie Anne Lone, Julia Quinn, and Deanna Raybourn.

 

 

5.  Do you have a favorite book or books?

The Lions of Al-Rassan is my favorite book. It is a fantasy set in a medieval period in a fictional country that is clearly medieval Spain. I also love Cornwell's The Saxon Tales series, the Pennyroyal-Greene series by Julie Long, the Hollywood Station series by Wambaugh and the Bridgerton one by Quinn.

 

 

6.  Do you consider yourself a romantic?

Not terribly so, at least not in my everyday life. I do better giving my characters that quality.

 

 

7.  What would you consider a romantic evening?

Dinner anywhere in Paris or dinner is a fine restaurant on Michigan Avenue in Chicago with a view of the Loop. Dinner and a great Broadway play (a great musical like Phantom or Les Miz or Mama Mia)

 

 

8.  Do you daydream a lot?

I kind of daydream by thinking about scenes for whatever book I am writing while I am doing housework or other mundane things.

 

 

9.  If you had to choose a place for a romantic setting, where would it be?

Like most folks, Paris is my number one choice, then I'd pick one of the Greek Islands or Bodrum, Turkey, which is on the Aegean and like the Greek Isles has lovely cafes.

 

 

10.  What is your favorite color or colors?

I favor jewel tones like bright copper or sapphire blue or deep garnet red.

 

 

11.  What is your favorite holiday?

I don't really have one but if I had to choose, I'd pick Thanksgiving because I like to eat (I like it too much!) and I enjoy all the rich scents from the different dishes as they cook.

 

 

12.   Where would you go on a first date?

Dinner and a movie. I'd love to say dinner and dancing but I am a horrible dancer.

 

 

13.    How would you impress your date?

I'd dress as beautifully as possible and do the best I could with hair and makeup. And, I don't know if this would impress him or not, but I wouldn't go to bed with him, not on first date. If he likes me, he'll call me again. If not, then he wasn't a loss.

 

 

14.    Where is  your favorite vacation spot?

Anywhere in France and I love England equally well.

 

 

15.    I understand you have a new release called Silk.  What inspired you to write Silk? 

I wanted to do a setting in Victorian London and I had the idea for this detective hero. I'd visited the South Wales Borderers regimental museum a few years back and knew someday I'd write a book with a hero from one of their battles. I started mentally building his world several years ago when I was working on another series. After I finished my last historical romance, Knight Blindness, I decided not to put off writing the Victorian story. I had a good time writing Rudyard Bloodstone, the detective and giving him a worthy villain.

 

 

16.    Do you have any books you are currently working on?

Yes, I'm working on book 4 in my Knights in Time series. No title yet. It's a historical romance.

 

 

17.    What book or series that you wrote would you recommend to readers?  And why?

I'd love to have readers enjoy Silk, of course. I'm excited for this new series. I'd also recommend Knights In Time series. They have been very popular over the last couple years and I think they'll find the characters fun and interesting.
 

 

This or That

 

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Vanilla

 

Boxers or Briefs?

Boxers

 

Cat or Dog?

Dog

 

Edward or Jacob?

Edward

 

Beach or Mountains?

Beach

 

Small town or City?

City

 

Book or Kindle?

Can't pick

 

Lillies or Roses?

Roses


THANKS AGAIN CHRIS FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT OF YOUR BUSY SCHEDULE TO APPEAR ON MY BLOG.  I CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR NEW BOOK SILK.  THE KNIGHTS IN TIME SERIES IS A WONDERFUL READ. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CHECK OUT SILK AND THE KNIGHTS IN TIME SERIES.




Author Bio:

I was born and raised in Chicago. My father was a history professor and my mother was, and is, a voracious reader. I grew up with a love of history and books.

My parents also love traveling, a passion they passed onto me. I wanted to see the places I read about, see the land and monuments from the time periods that fascinated me. I’ve had the good fortune to travel extensively throughout Europe, the Near East, and North Africa.

I am a retired police detective. I spent twenty-five years in law enforcement with two different agencies. My desire to write came in my early teens. After I retired, I decided to pursue that dream. I write two different series. My paranormal romance series is called, Knights in Time. My romantic thriller series is, Dangerous Waters.

I currently live in the Pacific Northwest with my husband, four rescue dogs and a rescue horse.

AUTHOR LINKS
































Excerpt of Silk

He wrapped an end in each hand and pulled. His fingers crept up the silk and he tugged a bit harder still. The material pressed deeper into the flesh of her neck. Bright pink dotted her cheeks and radiated down to her jaw. The veins in her temples popped out and pulsed in time to her heartbeat. She moaned, pushed her hips upward and writhed against him. Her soft pubic hair tickled his testicles. Isabeau’s unsubtle way of letting him know she wanted him inside her. He obliged.

Her hands encircled his wrists. She tugged hard outward, harder than usual. A choked sigh escaped her. He paid no attention. This was standard. Isabeau always insisted he maintain pressure until she signaled for him to release his hold. In the past, when she reached the edge of consciousness, she’d beat along his upper arms. This time she thrashed her head back and forth, something he hadn’t seen before. Her eyes bulged in an unattractive way and she clawed at him. Her nails gouged the skin on his hands, drawing blood.

She hurt him and he wanted to slap her. He almost let go of one end of the scarf to do that. Instead, he pulled tighter. Isabeau tried to insert her fingers into the spot where the material crossed over. Her mouth opened and shut, soundless and fishlike. She swatted at the mattress wildly. Red-faced to the point of being near purple, she bucked beneath him.

She fired his blood with her lack of inhibition. Never had she responded with such intensity. Raw power surged through him, primitive, animalistic. He pumped hard. Ready to climax, William clenched his fists, twisting the scarf one last turn. Odd, feathery touches tapped his biceps, feminine and subtle grazes, and then she went limp. Spent, he released his hold and collapsed on top of her, his heart pounding while he caught his breath.

Isabeau didn’t move and her head stayed turned to the side. She hadn’t cried out the way she normally did when sated. Perhaps she was disappointed with his effort. He gave the thought a mental shrug. At the end of the day, it really didn’t matter. He’d arrange for her departure first thing in the morning.

William rolled over and slung a sweaty arm over his eyes. He tried to decide which was worse, telling her tonight the affair was over or waiting until morning. The idea of doing it after such a rambunctious sexual endeavor seemed bad form, but he wanted to get it over with. He turned onto his side, prepared for histrionics, caterwauling, great tears and verbal abuse.

"Isabeau, look at me. I’ve come to a decision and it will likely distress you." Nothing. She didn’t stir. "Isabeau?"

He shook her by the arm. Still no response. William let go and her arm dropped listless to the mattress. He raised her arm again and let go. Again, it fell listless. He straddled her and patted her cheeks. Nothing. Her head twisted without resistance first right then left depending on the direction of his pat. He slapped her harder. Nothing. Vacant eyes stared fixed on the ceiling. He bent an ear to her chest. Nothing. William leapt from the bed, snatched a silver mirror from the dressing table, and held it under her nose. Nothing.

"Bitch." William hurled the mirror against the wall. "Bitch, whore," he raged and paced along the side of the bed. "I will not allow you to make my life a nightmare. This was your doing. I told you to leave me alone."


Purchase Links:


 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria,
    I enjoyed doing the interview. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to showcase Silk.
    Chris Karlsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the interview and I also love the book. Great job Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Chris! Loved the book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Paris! Great interview Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone NOT love Paris?? Such a beautiful city.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Great interview questions, Victoria. I loved Silk and want to bring Rudyard home. May I borrow him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,
      I had fun with Rudyard. Some characters are easier to handle than others. I really hope to make this a series. One of things I enjoyed about Ruddy was the fact he wasn't a smoothie with women. Yes, feel free to borrow him.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Great interview, Chris! I like that you slipped in your bio that you have a rescue horse... must get the story on that sometime! Loved Silk, and your detective Bloodstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      I'm so glad you liked the story. It is a risk for me as it isn't a romance. We actually have had two rescue Thoroughbreds. One was on the L.A. Polo Club team and got too old. He was being sold for slaughter. The other was a distress sale. I took dressage lessons on him for several years. Both have passed away now. We currently have 5 rescue dogs that are spoiled rotten.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Great interview ladies! Can't wait to read Silk, Chris! Best of success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. I can't wait to read your next Winter Sisters story:)
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Awesome interview! Enjoyed learning more about Chris :) Love her books! Silk was brilliantly written 5 Stars <3

    ReplyDelete